May is Historic Preservation Month and we would like to share the history of 414 S. Thompson Avenue!
Fishing River Market is located at 414 South Thompson Avenue in Excelsior Springs, MO. The building that houses Fishing River Market has a unique and varied history. From the construction of the building to the business that it houses today, this building has made it through 100 years of history.
Harry L. Silvers was the original owner of the building. He has been described as an educated and progressive businessman who had several business interests throughout his years. He was born in Nevada, Missouri on July 10, 1887, to William and Mary (Parish) Silvers. In 1891, the family moved to Excelsior Springs, Missouri, where Harry would grow and be educated. He graduated from Excelsior Springs High School and after graduation attended the University of Missouri. After graduating from the University of Missouri, Harry moved to Pawnee County, Kansas, where he and his father owned and ran a ranch of more than 4000 acres.
In 1911, Harry returned to Excelsior Springs, Missouri, where he opened a garage. In 1914, he bought the majority of the 400 block on the west side of South Thompson Avenue with plans to expand his business. The construction of the building started underway in 1917, but because of WWI there was a delay and the construction of the building was not finished until 1919. With construction complete, Mr. Silvers moved his business to its new location at 414 South Thompson Avenue.
Throughout its history the building at 414 South Thompson Avenue has housed many businesses. It started as Silver’s Garage in 1919. You can still find the original sign on the back of the building. In the 1960’s and 1970’s, it was a car dealership. In the 1980’s, it was an army surplus store which was ran by Leonard Jones. In the early 1990’s, it was an antique mall known as Springtown Mall and ran by Sue Boone. In the basement was Dave’s Autobody Repair Shop, a radiator shop for a short time, and a workshop where audio speakers were made. In the 2010’s, it was a flea market known as Old Towne Mall and ran by Pat and Tom Fish.
Now it currently houses Fishing River Market.